Antimicrobial fabrics for the hospitality and leisure sector
In our homes and in public areas we are surrounded by textiles. Pillows, blankets, upholstered chairs, tablecloths, sofas… they are everywhere. It’s vital to clean your textiles deeply, although bacteria and viruses don’t last long on them. To ensure maximum hygiene, we can treat our upholstery, curtain and rug fabrics with an innovative antimicrobial coating that is in accordance with the latest safety regulations. Thanks to our antimicrobial fabrics your customers can relax in a healthy, clean and safe environment.
Challenge: increasing demand for antimicrobial fabrics
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a crucial mentality change. Hygiene has become more important than ever. Guests and clients are highly cautious when touching surfaces in buses, hotels and restaurants. Authorities ask for regular disinfection since bacteria and viruses can easily spread on surfaces via cross-contamination. Bacteria and viruses are proven to survive longer on materials like plastic, glass and leather compared to textiles. Shaping your interior with fabrics is therefore a safer and more hygienic alternative.
However, it’s not always possible to constantly clean fabrics in the hospitality and leisure sector. On top of that, some textiles may not be washed or cannot be cleaned thoroughly. That’s exactly why antimicrobial fabrics – also called ‘antibacterial fabrics’ – are in such high demand in the textile industry nowadays.
Solution: antimicrobial Hygiene Pure fabrics
At Green Street Fabrics, we greatly value hygiene and we want to protect your customers as much as possible. For that reason, we decided to develop high-quality antimicrobial fabrics. Our antibacterial Hygiene Pure fabrics are treated with the OEKO-TEX®- certified product BI-OME®. This penetrates deep into the fibres of our antimicrobial fabrics and eliminates dirt, bacteria, mildew and other microbes. It cleans the antibacterial fabrics visibly and invisibly on a microbial level and keeps viruses from evolving and spreading. The revolutionary BI-OME®-technology guarantees that textiles stay fresh and hygienic at all times.
Deactivation of microbes in three steps
So how exactly do our antibacterial or antimicrobial fabrics counteract microbes? The antimicrobial BI-OME®-technology follows a three-step process:
- attraction: the antimicrobial coating attracts the micro-organisms
- perforation: when the micro-organisms come into contact with the antimicrobial coating, their cell membrane is perforated
- disruption: this perforation deactivates the micro-organisms and prevents their growth and proliferation
Advantages of BI-OME® in a nutshell
- fights micro-organisms, prevents unwelcome odours ánd reduces the effect of viruses
- permanent, non-migrating, metal-free technology
- applicable on different fabric types
- uses no toxic or dangerous substances, so it’s not harmful to people or the environment
- no skin irritation (OEKO-TEX® class 1)
- always remains active and effective once the antimicrobial fabrics are treated
- contains biocide with active substance: dimethyloctadecyl[3-(trimethoxysilyl)propyl]ammonium chloride
- treated antibacterial fabrics are recyclable and biodegradable (OECD 209/302B)